Prologue...

Click here to read

Monday, October 12, 2009

Amazing Love

Monday, October 12, 2009
I’ve heard it said that the book of Romans is the best book in the Bible and that its 8th chapter is the Bible’s highest point. It begins this way:

Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death (verses 1-2).

I sometimes find myself thinking back to something I did in the past, something that I’ve regretted doing and repented of. Human as we are, those of you who have given your lives to Christ and repented of your sins know that being forgiven does not always mean that you can forget. And yet, we can always find comfort in the verses above: because we are in Christ, we are no longer chained to our sins. Our sins are no longer our crosses to carry. According to Christ, the only thing we are obligated to do or the only cross we must continue to carry is the memory of what He did for us the day He died on the cross. I think the sins that plague us, especially those we continually commit and do not repent of, do so because of the in-dwelling of the Holy Spirit. The feeling of guilt is not there to make you feel like a bad person but rather to let you know that your Spirit is yearning for a change and your past sins become a lesson to you as you work towards perfecting your faith. God loves us too much to want us to wallow in the things of the past. This brings to mind one of my favourite hymns, Amazing Love How Can It Be:

And can it be, that I should gain
An interest in the Saviour's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, shoulds't die for me?

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth and followed Thee.

No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him, is mine!
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach the eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.

3 comments:

Anna Renee said...

We can't fully understand how much God loves us!
But what level of understanding we do have, we thank and praise God for sharing and giving Himself to us in the body of Jesus!
Blessings

Shels said...

You know, sometimes i feel really bad, like I'm not doing enough for God. I'm eternally grateful to him for goodness, mercies and kindness...yet how many times to I let others know about it. Even as a Bible Study leader, the part I dreaded were the first few weeks when we tried to get more freshmen to come for Bible Study, cos i really didnt want to have to deal with some of their responses. :-( yet he hasnt shot me dead yet..and he is still good to me...so i will try harder.

Shameless said...

Indeed, Anna Renee, we're so grateful for the wonderful gift of His son, the epitome of His amazing love!

Shels, I know just what you're talking abt! at least we're aware that we should be doing more for His kingdom so we can trust that He'll give us more courage and opportunities to do so.

Post a Comment